Tomato and egg stir fry is a common dish in my family. I always stock up on tomatoes and eggs so when I run out of ideas what to cook, this is it. I removed the skin of the tomatoes prior to frying as it is simply too chewy for the little ones and it takes them ages to swallow. Pampered? Maybe...
I used to cook this with garlic but due to health reasons, I have to cut down on garlic intake so I replaced it with shallots instead and added some dried shrimps too. Dried shrimps really helped to flavour this dish further and the kids prefer this version too.
Tomato and Egg Stir FryIngredients
A handful dried shrimps (soaked in water to soften and minced/pounded)
2 - 3 shallots, sliced
2 Large tomatoes, peeled and sliced/cut into wedges
2 Eggs, beaten
1 tsp Light soy sauce (salt may be used as an alternative)
dash of pepper
some vegetable oil
- Prepare a pot of boiling water.
- Make a cross-shaped cut on the bottom of the tomatoes.
- Add tomatoes into boiling water, cook for 1 - 2 mins. Remove to cool and peel the tomato skin. Slice or cut into wedges.
- Heat up wok with some oil.
- Toss in shallots and dried shrimps, stir-fry till fragrant and a light golden brown on the shallots.
- Add beaten egg and scramble till 70% cooked.
- Add in tomatoes and give it a quick stir.
- Add light soy sauce and pepper to taste.